Tuesday 26 April 2011

Sugar Highs in Children - Parties

Just a thought.....

As I just put up a post on Kids Party Food I thought this was probably worth mentioning.

My husband and I were recently lucky enough to spend some time at a health retreat to get our diet and exercise back on track. While there, they placed a great deal of weight on removing sugar from our diets.

After a lecture on the effects of sugar, I spoke to one of the nutritionists about the content. Where it is easy to ask me to remove sugar from my diet, I find it really tough to do for my kids, particularly at kids parties. We have one son (aged 4) who does suffer from extreme reactions to sugar. This is particularly evident at kids parties. You can really notice a significant change in behaviour if he has lollies or too much sweet food at parties. He becomes aggressive, teary and really difficult to manage. I find it upsetting as I know that it is not his usual nature to behave that way. He is exposed to limited sweet food at home but it is more the natural sweetened versions ie. fruit juice, fruit bars and occasional sweet biscuits.

The nutritionist was really understanding in the way that you deal with kids and sugar. In referring to my son, she said that it would be worth me trying to balance out the sugar highs by increasing his protein levels. According to her, that would reduce the extremity of the reaction.

She was not saying that I needed to sit my son down and feed him a t-bone steak before each party, although it definitely would have done the job!

No, pretty simple really, every time we go to a kids party now, I just pack some the kids each a squeezy yogurt (Vaalia is a favourite!), a cheese stick or give them a ham & cheese sandwich in the car on the way. I cannot tell you the difference that this has made to their reactions to sugar at parties! I'm still not a fan of loads of sugar at parties, but at least now I am a bit better at limiting the reactions.

Now, I'm not saying that this will work for everyone, but it did work for us and it definitely made sense!

I have got to say that this was probably one of the best bits of information that I have received since having kids!

Hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment