Tuesday 26 April 2011

Easy Kids Party Food - Part 1

I love a good kids party and I am a big fan of traditional kids party food - yum! It always seems to bring back some happy and cheerful memories.

The thing with kids parties is that having the little kiddies around while you are trying to get the party organised, makes them somewhat tricky!

I hope you don't mind but I'm breaking this post up into a few different postings otherwise it will just get overwhelming!

Lets start with some real favourites.....

1) Sprinkles! No party is complete without them! I am a big believer that you can put sprinkles on anything and it will instantly scream "PARTY" back at you! There are several brands available now that use natural colours so there is even more reason to party!

Fairy bread is an absolute must!!!

The thing is, we all seem to leave it until last to make as we want the bread to be the lightest and freshest. However, did you know that you can make it in advance? You make it, using the freshest bread then freeze it and pull it out about 2 hours before the party, plate it up and voila, easy, quick and stress-free! Seems so simple, doesn't it? It took me a couple of parties to figure it out but now I have it down!


I tend to do it about a week before the party and use very fresh bread (normally wholemeal as I like to cram in some goodness where I can). I store it in Tupperware in my freezer and prep
are a layer at a time. I freeze the bread first, just because it is easier to cut that way, especially when the bread is really fresh. Then take enough to put a single layer in the bottom of my container (I use a container that is about 30cm long x 20 cm wide x 5 cm high) so about 6 slices. I butter it (tastes better with butter not margarine) and cut up into 4 triangles leaving the crusts on, then put in the container before sprinkling on the sprinkles (just as it makes the clean-up easier).

2)  Another thing that is really great for kids parties, especially if you are going with a healthier option is sliced banana with sprinkles on. This is really good if you have kids with allergies as it means that they don't miss out on the fun. You just slice the banana into little round circle and sprinkle away. As the banana is moist, you will need to prepare this one at the last minute to avoid the colours running. I have often showed up at a party with a banana, knife and sprinkle shaker in my bag! Just one of those things you need to do when you have a kiddo with allergies, I guess!

3)  So that's the sprinkly bits, next is Honey Crackles! Yum, Yum, YUM! Honey Crackles or Honey Joys, same thing!

Another easy one that you can do in advance! Love that! I normally do them about 7-10 days prior to the party and really try not to eat them prior to the day!

I go with the Kellogs recipe from the side of a Corn Flakes packet.

If you don't have a packet handy here goes:

90g butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp honey
4 cups Corn Flakes

Preheat oven to 150C.
Melt margarine, sugar and honey together in a saucepan until frothy.
Add Corn Flakes and mix well.
Spoon into paper patty cases. (I go with the foil ones so the grease doesn't show through)
Bake in a slow oven (150C) for less than 10 mins.
Allow to cool.
Makes approx 20 (or more if you make the mini size!)

4) So the last thing that I'm going to suggest food-wise for an easy party is mini franks, little boys or cocktail frankfurts.

We have the best butcher up the road (Windsor Meats) which does a skinless variety! Brilliant! Quality-wise, they are also great.

It is always so annoying to have to peel them as my kids are going through that fussy stage an won't eat them with the peel on! So skin-less is fabulous! For our family, this is something that they only get at a party, not an everyday food and I tend to only get them from somewhere that I trust. Yeah, I know, probably a bit OCD!

I like the skinless variety not only for the pain of peeling, but also as there is less colouring without the bright red skin!

I spoke to the butcher and he made a point of telling me not to cook them too long as they would split. Apparently they are already cooked and only need warming. I kind of know that but it was still good to hear!

I have so many kids party suggestions, check back soon for more ideas! Cakes, healthy options, special treats and loot bags - still to come!

Ciao for now!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Do you freeze the honey joys? Or just store them in tbe pantry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Store them in the pantry in an airtight container and they will keep for at least 5 days but lose a bit of their crispiness. Great to make ahead for parties though! In our house we never have sny left past 3 days ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesnt the 100s and 1000s colouring bleed into the bread and go all soggy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate the effort you have given to this post. I am looking forward for your next post. I found this informative and interesting blog.
    Chocolate Fountain On Hire in Hyderabad | Popcorn On Hire in Hyderabad | Cotton Candy On Hire in Hyderabad | Ice Gola On Hire in Hyderabad | Sweet corn On Hire in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete