Monday 18 April 2011

Easy kids sandwich ideas!

So here's how I try to reduce the stress of lunch box packing in the hectic morning bun fight!

1) I try and pack as much of their lunch the night before as possible.
2) I try to cook extra food for dinners and meals during the week. This way I can use for lunch the next day or freeze and use later in the week as required. Things like sausages, chicken, spaghetti bolognese (great sandwich filling believe it or not!) pizzas, quiches, muffins and small pots of pasta.
3) Here is my number one tip - I try to make sandwiches with freezable fillings! I will do a big sandwich make on Sunday night, make, cut and individually wrap or store so they are ready at a moments notice. I can't tell you how much stress this takes out of things, particularly for me mentally!  In my family, the sandwich has always been the 'hero' of the lunch box! The main item around which everything else sits. To have this king pin sorted early makes everything else seem so much easier!

Here are some suggestions of freezable sandwich fillings:
  • Ham, cheese and chutney
  • Cream cheese and sultanas
  • Vegemite
  • Peanut Butter (if your school permits)
  • Tuna, cream cheese, grated carrot and lemon juice
  • Egg and bacon or egg and mayo
  • Smoked salmon and cream cheese
  • Beef and corn relish
  • Baked beans mashed
  • Avocado, cream cheese and ham
  • Chicken schnitzel and avocado
  • Turkey, cream cheese and cranberry sauce
In terms of making the bread soggy, the trick with the condiments is to try and put them between two dry fillings where possible. Cream cheese is OK in terms of not making bread soggy.

So enjoy a stress-free morning from now on!!

Happy sandwich slapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment